Skip to content
Curtin University
Fees @ Curtin


Term Definition
ATO Australian Taxation Office.
Bpay BPay is a method of payment you can make from your cheque, savings or credit account, either online or via phone.
Census date Each study period has a census date. Any withdrawal from units you make after the study period census date, regardless of whether you are a domestic or international student, will incur both an academic and financial penalty (e.g., a fail grade and incurral of debt/no refund of paid fees).
Commonwealth Assistance Form Specifically known as either the HECS-HELP form or FEE-HELP form.
Commonwealth Assistance Notice (CAN) The Commonwealth Assistance Notice (CAN) is your notice containing information about enrolment and use of Commonwealth assistance. Higher education providers must issue a CAN to each of their Commonwealth assisted students after the census date.
Commonwealth Higher Education Student Support Number (CHESSN) This is your unique identifier, allocated to all students accessing Commonwealth assistance for higher education.
Commonwealth Supported To be considered for Commonwealth support you must
  • be an Australian or NZ citizen or Permanent Resident of Australia,
  • be enrolled in a Commonwealth Supported unit on or before census date,
  • have completed and submitted a Request for Commonwealth Assistance form.
Commonwealth supported students are generally required to contribute to the cost of their higher education through a student contribution. The Australian Government also contributes to part of the cost.
The Higher Education Loan Programme (HELP) allows eligible students to defer their student contribution (through HECS-HELP or FEE-HELP) and repay it later through the taxation system.
Please note that eCAFs or HELP forms must be lodged before the census date of the study period to be effective. For information on census dates please refer to the University census dates page.
Course A course of study leading to a higher education award or an enabling course. A combined or double degree is one course of study.
CRL Credit for Recognised Learning (formerly known as RPL). Credit for study previously undertaken.
Curtin ePay A Curtin University online payment method.
Domestic Fee Paying This category applies to Australian, New Zealand or Permanent Resident students who enrol in a Domestic Fee Paying course. If you are eligible, you may be able to use the FEE-HELP scheme.
Domestic student A student who is an Australian citizen, a New Zealand citizen or the holder of a permanent humanitarian visa.
eCAF An electronic version of the Commonwealth Assistance Form.
eCAN An electronic version of the Commonwealth Assistance Notice. This is a statement which includes important information about your enrolment. It is not an invoice.
EFT Electronic Funds Transfer.
Equivalent full-time study load (EFTSL) An EFTSL is a representation of the amount of load a student would have when studying full time for one year. For further information, please see the FAQs page.
ESOS Education Services for Overseas Students.
FEE-HELP FEE-HELP is a loan scheme that assists eligible fee-paying students pay part or all of their tuition fees. It cannot be used for additional study costs such as accommodation or text books
The total amount of FEE-HELP a person can use is known as the FEE-HELP limit. Once a person begins using FEE-HELP, the amount of FEE-HELP they have left to use is known as their FEE-HELP balance.
Fee Paying student A domestic student, who is not Commonwealth supported for a unit of study. Fee-paying students pay tuition fees. Fee-paying students are also known as 'non-Commonwealth supported students'.

HECS-HELP is a loan program to help eligible Commonwealth supported students pay their student contribution amounts.
A HECS-HELP loan covers all or part of the student contribution amount.
If you receive a HECS-HELP loan, the Australian Government pays the loan amount directly to your higher education provider on their behalf. A HECS-HELP debt is recorded for with the Tax Office against the student's Tax File Number.

HELP Higher Education Loan Program
HESA Higher Education Support Act
International student In the Australian higher education sector, an 'international student' is a person who:
  • is not an Australian citizen; and
  • is enrolled, or will enrol, in a course of study with a higher education provider.
But does not include:
  • a person who holds Permanent Resident status; or
  • a New Zealand citizen; or
  • a person who holds a Permanent Humanitarian Visa.
LPF Late Payment Fee.
Minimum threshold This is the limit above which compulsory repayments are to be paid in your tax returns. Your compulsory repayment amount depends on your HELP repayment income of each income year.
Not-For-Degree Not-For-Degree study allows students to study units without leading to a formal award. It may comprise of a unit or units of study from an award course and may be counted as credit towards an award course in some cases.
OpenUnis Open Universities Australia
PEX Payment Extension Plan
PIP Payment Instalment Plan
Post billpay Post billpay is a service offered by Australia Post to make payments.
Refund A refund involves the return of money to a student that made an up-front payment.
Remission Where your HELP debt is removed by your provider because you meet the special circumstances criteria.
RPL Recognition of Prior Learning (credit for study previously undertaken). Now called Credit for Recognised Learning (CRL).
Sanction A warning put on a student's record, to alert them of outstanding requirements. It may withhold certain privileges until the requirements are met.
Student Learning Entitlement (SLE)

The student learning entitlement (SLE) system was used to measure the timeframe that an eligible student could be enrolled in a Commonwealth supported place.
SLE was abolished on 1 January 2012. From that date, there was no longer a limit on the amount of study a person could undertake as a Commonwealth supported student.

Sponsorship If your tuition fees are being paid by an organisation who has signed a sponsorship agreement with the University, you are classified as a sponsored student.
Student Services Amenities Fee (SSAF)

In accordance with the Higher Education Legislation Amendment (Student Services and Amenities) Act 2011, a Student Services and Amenities Fee is charged to all enrolled students.
The Student Services and Amenities Fee (SSAF) supports the provision of non-academic services and facilities (such as sporting and recreational activities, child car, food services, etc), with both the University and Student Guild working together to decide how the funds should be distributed.

Student contributions Contributions that Commonwealth supported students make towards the cost of their education.
Tax File Number (TFN)

Your unique identification number from the Australian Tax Office (ATO) for everything tax related, including making HELP debt repayments. If you do not have a TFN, you will need to complete a TFN application form, which is available from the Tax Office.
For further information, please visit the Australian Taxation Office website.

TT Telegraphic Transfer.
Unit A unit of study, or subject, that you undertake with a provider that could form part of a course of study.
Up-front payment Partial or full payment of student contributions made direct to the provider on or before the census date.
WAIT Western Australian Institute of Technology - became Curtin University of Technology in 1987.

Need to know how much your tuition fees will be?

confused 3D figure holding up a calculator

Try the Fees Calculator!